Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Benefits of Water

While on my three mile walk this morning, with my friends from the gym, the "Water" discussion came up.  So I thought that this would be a great topic for today's blog.  The question: "Is it more beneficial to drink room temperature water or is it better to drink it ice cold?"  Well, I said that room temperature water was better because your body does not have to warm the water up.  The other two women said that if it is ice cold then the body works harder to warm it up, thus burning more calories.  So who is right?  I just couldn't get this question off my mind so as soon as I got home I did a little research.  The results...............all three of us!!!!!  Although cold water does burn more calories the amount is so minute that it doesn't have a big effect on weight loss.  The real answer is DRINK, DRINK, DRINK water; no matter what the temperature.  Here is some other water fast facts from several different resources.

1.  Over 75% of our bodies are water.  

2.  Cold water is absorbed through the lining of the stomach much faster than warm water.  This helps when someone is dehydrated.

3.  Cold water after exercise will cool the body quicker.

4.  When consumed in the morning warm water can help with digestion, bowel movements and constipation.

5.  Drinking 8oz of water a day for a long period of time can help with weight loss.

6.  Drinking water reduces hunger.

7.  Water helps maintain healthier skin.

And my favorite......

8.  It reduces the chances of you getting sick.

Lastly, how do you know if you are drinking enough water each day?  I learned a trick from when I was in Civil Air Patrol.  Our Lieutenant said, "If your urine looks like Mountain Dew shame on you, if it looks like Sprite you did all right!"  So go out there and drink some water (warm or cold).   

No comments:

Post a Comment