Thursday, November 17, 2011

Challenge Yourself & Be Kind

First, I apologize for not posting lately.  I have had a sick 2 yr old at home and I'm on the last stretch of school classes for this semester. 

So, I am one of those people that is very competitive when it comes to sports and physical activities.  I always want to do the best I can and push to that next level.  I guess I always think that I can do better than the time before.  Of course this has positives and negatives but I feel that overall it is healthy to be competitive with yourself as long as you set limits.  As they say, "baby steps."  Take it one day at a time, a little at a time.  They make 1 lb weights for a reason.  Are there days when I can't take that next step?  ABSOLUTELY!  Your body is constantly changing and adjusting and some days it screams, "NO" even though you know you could do it, and have done it before.  Relax, don't be mad at yourself.  Take a step back and look at how much you have changed and grown since the beginning of your training.  Some days are just better than others.  Yes, I do get upset when I can't do something but I just say to myself, "Next time I will own you."  This is my coping method when working out is a struggle, and next time I come back with a vengeance.   In the end, its about getting off your butt and moving your body. 

When my teammates and I started this Y weight loss program we were only able to walk 1.5 miles with a time of at a time of 30:11 minutes.  In 2 weeks we were up to 3 miles with a time of 1:06:00.  Each walk we have cut our time down (even if only 1 minute).  Now, only 1 month into our walking, we are doing 3 miles in 54:09 minutes.  In just a couple short weeks we cut our time by 12 minutes!  Just by pushing a little more each time.  Anyone, can do this too with just putting in the time and effort.

So the long and short of it is; challenge yourself with your workout, even in the smallest form and remember that some days are going to be better than others but something is ALWAYS better than nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment